either softbound or Kindle/Nook/etc. eBook at Amazon
13 Bring Joy to Your Vegan Practice.
is a yoga teacher I love who talks about being mindful of not
forcefully jerking yourself around the yoga mat in pursuit of achieving
the perfect poses you are after. The idea is that when you are yanking
yourself around the mat, you’re no longer enjoying your practice, nor
are you being kind to yourself, and this defeats the whole point of
yoga. You’re bringing aggression, judgment, competition and a sense of
burdensome obligation to your practice instead. How does this apply to
veganism? I think we lose the juicy joy of veganism when it becomes all
about lists, rules and tallies or about grief, anger and conflict. When
we lose the pleasure, I think our vegan practice becomes more of a
chore that we are powering through than something that comes from a
deeper core conviction of trying to create a more compassionate and
just world. Bring joy to your practice by watching cheerful animal videos,
by spending time in nature, by discovering new foods and ingredients,
by enjoying how your taste buds have become awakened, by feeling
grateful to be able to live at a time when we are able to put our
convictions into our daily lives. There are so many ways to bring joy
into your vegan practice. Don’t lose sight of them and you will also be
modeling to the world someone who is powerfully compelling.
This is a living document and will be updated as new ideas come to us.
If you have additional resources that you think should be included
here, send us an email.
Best wishes on your vegan journey. You've got this!
< Previous page . . << Back to the beginning
Intro: Welcome new vegan!
1. Mistakes don't mean you failed
2. Find community
3. Don't overload on disturbing videos and content
4. Develop your vegan voice and assertiveness
5. Stay strong against social pressure and gain resilience as a vegan
6. Learn how to cook, even just a little
7. Technology helps you over hurdles
8. Listen to vegan podcasts
9. Take advantage of other resources
10. Don't let yourself get famished
11. Expect that your digestive system might take a little while to get straightened out
12. Untangle and tame food cravings
13. Bring joy to your vegan practice
2013-2017, Vegan Street